I had several people asking how I like the Slice Machine and which die cutting machines I own.
I started with Wishblade the pink one which I never used!
Cricut machines: “Baby Bug”, Create, Expression, Expression2, Imagine
Silhouette Cameo
Slice Elite Machine
I also have Sizzix, Cuttle bug, Epic Six etc.
Why did I buy the Slice Elite machine? Did I need a portable electronic design cutter? No, I bought my Slice Elite because it was on clearance from Michael Store for $19.99 and the cartridges were $4.99 as of this Saturday, Slice cartridges went down in price again to $2.00! Michael’s was giving it away! I bought several machines and cartridges I could find. This will be perfect gifts.
I just started playing with this machine and here is what I learned so far, the Slice Elite is very easy to operate.
To get started, you have to spread a thin layer of re-positionable adhesive on one end of the glass cutting mat and spread it coat the entire surface and let it dry for about two minutes. It has a slight odor (and YES…it’s stink!) and it will turn clear so you'll know when it is ready. Spray re-positionable adhesive is also available which I also bought but haven’t tried yet. Place your paper, cardstock, etc on the glass mat. Smooth it so it is firmly adhered to the mat.
Insert a design card into the slot on the rear of the unit. The power button is next to the design card slot. Before cutting for the first time the Slice Elite requires a simple calibration process (the machine cuts a sample pattern). Then you can select a category and a shape to cut. Once you have selected a shape, adjust the size most shapes range from 1-4 inches in half inch increments. You can also toggle the image style between normal, shadow and mirror. After you have made your selections, press the select button in the center and the blade will rotate to the starting position and a small "x" will appear on the screen to show where the cutting will begin. You can pick up the Slice and place it where you prefer on the paper. When you are satisfied, press the large button on the upper right corner of the gray frame if you have the regular glass matt you have to firmly hold the base of the Slice in place while it cuts but, I bought the Slice hands free 12x12 Magnetic double sided mat so that I do not need to hold the slice machine down while it's cutting.
When cutting is done, the Slice will display a "completed" message on the screen and ask you to press the Menu button which will lift the cutting blade. If you do not turn off the Slice it will automatically turn off after 15 minutes if not use. Lift the Slice unit off the glass mat and gently lift an edge of the paper and pull it off the glass. It will easily lift off the glass. To remove your die cut you can use the Slice spatula, which you have to buy separate or a razor blade.
When cutting is done, the Slice will display a "completed" message on the screen and ask you to press the Menu button which will lift the cutting blade. If you do not turn off the Slice it will automatically turn off after 15 minutes if not use. Lift the Slice unit off the glass mat and gently lift an edge of the paper and pull it off the glass. It will easily lift off the glass. To remove your die cut you can use the Slice spatula, which you have to buy separate or a razor blade.
Overall, I am very happy with my Slice Elite I find the portability and small footprint to be helpful in my craft space. I'm able to maximize use of my designer paper because I can cut anywhere on the paper. I love the images that are on the Slice design cards not to mention the design cards are small and easy to store. Of course, this portable cutting machine does not replace my favorite Silhouette Cameo or any of my Cricut machines; it is a great addition to my crafting tools.
My Slice Design Cards storage and the Slice Machine storage bag.
I missed out on the $19 deal! Perhaps in the future I will buy one. Thank you for your review~
ReplyDeleteThank you for the review. I was able to refrain from buying the Slice when it was on clearance. I am glad you are finding a use for the little machine. Have fun!
ReplyDeleteCarolyn
http://cccscraproom.blogspot.com
Thanks for the informative review. With so many different electric cutters, how do you decide which to use?
ReplyDeletethose prices are crazy makes me want to go get one...if any are left at my Michaels
ReplyDelete@ Donna-I get really overwhelm! lol!
ReplyDelete